I’m excited to be attending Pittsburgh’s first ever WordCamp event this Saturday, September 17! I drove to Columbus, Ohio, a few years back to attend WordCamp there and it was well worth it. My biggest takeaway from the Columbus event derived from a session entitled “Build on a Framework” – essentially explaining that using different themes for each website was costly in terms of time. I took the advice seriously and tried Divi and Thesis before finally settling on Genesis. That session changed my life. Well, my WordPress life, anyway.
Sessions of interest to me at this weekend’s event include:
- A Custom Theme in 30 Minutes (this I wanna see!)
- Demystifying Responsive Images in WordPress
- How to Optimize Your Website to Maximize Online Donations
- Let’s Write a Plugin
- Satisfying the Need for Speed: Making WordPress as Fast as Possible
- WP Security & Plugins (want to see if there’s any great ideas to add to my own security checklist)
My employer, the Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at RMU, is an Allegheny River Sponsor for the event, which makes me really happy. I like to support WordPress resources whenever possible and it’s so great that this event is in our backyard!
I promise to take good notes during the event and report back here in the near future. Stay tuned!